Mike Leard focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, products liability, including asbestos and pharmaceutical products, and complex civil litigation. Mike also has experience litigating trademark infringement disputes and counseling clients in environmental and occupational safety and health regulatory compliance. Mike has represented clients in a wide range of industries, from telecommunication service providers to manufacturers of pharmaceutical medications.
Mike represents clients in matters pending in the Massachusetts Superior Court, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, and in multidistrict litigation. Mike has experience in various aspects of trial preparation, including drafting written discovery, deposing fact and expert witnesses, preparing a range of motions, and settlement negotiation.
Additionally, Mike serves as Adjunct Associate Professor at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, where he teaches a course in occupational safety and health compliance. Mike was recently selected to serve his third consecutive term as a member of the board of directors for the Young Lawyers Division of the Massachusetts Bar Association, and is a member of the MBA’s Complex Commercial Litigation section. Mike has also been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer: Rising Star, an honor bestowed upon the top 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts 40 years old or younger or in practice for 10 years or less.
Mike graduated magna cum laude from Tulane Law School, where he earned a Certificate of Specialization in Sports Law. Mike was the Senior Managing Editor of the Sports Lawyers Journal, Vol. 18. He also provided pro bono assistance for New Orleans musicians through Tulane’s Entertainment Law Legal Assistance Program. Mike is a graduate of the firm’s 2010 Summer Law Clerk program.
Mike and his wife reside in Marblehead, Massachusetts, where Mike enjoys volunteering for the Marblehead Trail Conservancy.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star: 2015, 2016
- Tulane Law School - Magna Cum Laude, Senior Managing Editor, Sports Lawyers Journal, Vol. 18, CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- College of the Holy Cross - Dean's List, Major: Economics, Omicron Delta Epsilon, The International Honor Society for Economics, Men's Varsity Crew
- Obtained summary judgment for telecommunication service provider in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts on plaintiff’s claim for breach of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act for unfair or deceptive practices.
- Obtained summary judgment for pharmaceutical manufacturer in United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts on plaintiff’s claim that manufacturer failed to warn of risks associated with the use of its medication.
- Successfully negotiated dismissal of claim against supplier of talc in claim alleging personal injuries as a result of plaintiff’s use of talc-based body powders.
- Successfully negotiated dismissal of putative class-action brought by maintenance workers allegedly exposed to asbestos through work on turbines.
- Attained favorable settlement for paint manufacturer in case alleging property damage caused design defect in paint.
- Marblehead Trail Conservancy, Member, 2015- Present
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association, Member, 2011- Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Board of Directors, 2014- Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Complex Commercial Litigation section, 2014- Present
- “OSHA Compliance,” Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Summer 2013- Present
- “Inside the Millennial Mind: Effective Practices to Win Over the Next Generation Juror,” Perrin Conferences, San Francisco, CA, September 2016
- “Courtroom Practice for New Attorneys,” Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston, MA, May 2016
- “Deposition Practice for Young Lawyers,” Massachusetts Bar Association, Newbury, NH, February 2016
- “Conducting Client Intake Interviews,” Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston, MA, December 2015
- “Survive and Thrive: Tips of the Trade,” Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston, MA, April 2015