Susan A. Jackson is an experienced trial attorney. Susan has tried cases in both federal and state courts, and she has appeared before various appellate courts. She has extensive experience in product liability defense, where her clients include equipment manufacturers, talc suppliers and coating producers. In addition to her product experience, Susan has also represented clients in litigation involving shareholder disputes, construction defects and contract matters.
Through the course of her varied legal career, Susan has achieved favorable verdicts in numerous cases involving catastrophic personal injury. In addition, she has successfully argued many motions for summary judgment resulting in victories for real estate broker/appraisers, utilities and insurers. Most recently, she obtained a judgment for a utility client based on statutory and regulatory law. She has also successfully utilized alternative dispute resolution to achieve desirable results for clients in complex litigation involving insurance coverage, construction, legal malpractice, and product failures. She has also participated in mediation prior to suit, allowing clients to resolve disputes without the protracted time and expense associated with litigation.
Prior to private practice, Susan was a law clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Boston.
Susan is also a Senior Lecturer at the University of Massachusetts where she teaches courses in Law and Business Ethics to both graduate and undergraduate students, and mentors students desiring to further their education. In her spare time, she serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the German Shepherd Resource and Rescue Center, Inc. She is also an active supporter of Save the Chimps and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Notwithstanding her skill, she enjoys golfing and has, at various times, been an active member of the Women’s Golf Association of Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2013-present
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent™ Peer Rated
- Gimas v. Bialy, et al., Mass. App. Ct. (2010) (employment discrimination)
- O’Connell v. Reliance Ins. Co., 50 Mass. App. Ct. 334 (1999) (significance of certificates of insurance issued by broker)
- Miksulski v. Champion, 35 Mass. App. Ct. 1106 (1993)
- Jury verdict for defendant tractor-trailer company where plaintiff alleged closed head injury resulting from rear end collision.
- Summary Judgment in favor of real estate appraiser alleged to have over-valued home leading to foreclosure.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of claims for plaintiffs in a mill fire where insurer alleged one plaintiff’s stored materials contributed to spread of fire.
- Jury verdict for defendant in claim where construction equipment stolen from defendant’s site was used to wreck havoc on private property.
- Participated in court proceedings on issue of whether there were enforceable settlements reached between church and abuse victims.
- Participated in single justice appeal involving issue of whether parties to mediation could force mediator to testify as to status of settlement negotiations.
- Defense Research Institute
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Social Law LIbrary
- Boston Athenaeum
- Strategic Management, University of Massachusetts (2002-2006)
- Public Policy, University of Massachusetts (1990-2006)
- Business Law, University of Massachusetts (1988-Present)
- Expert Discovery, MCLE (2003)
- Health Care Policy, University of Massachusetts (2004)
- Organizational Change, University of Massachusetts (2006)
- “Defense Perspective: Expert Testimony – The Examination of an Industrial Hygienist”, Harris Martin Asbestos Litigation Conference (June 2009)
- Business Ethics, University of Massachusetts (2014-present)
- “The Relationship Between Carriers and Insureds in the Changing Litigation Environment”, Perrin Conference (March 2015)