Michael Cahalane is a partner in Cetrulo LLP’s Boston office. He concentrates his practice in products liability, pharmaceutical litigation, toxic torts, asbestos litigation, premises litigation, mass torts, commercial disputes, and litigation management. Mike regularly litigates cases filed in Massachusetts Superior Court and the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. His clients include both Fortune 500 companies and small family-run businesses in a wide variety of industrial and commercial sectors including chemicals, pharmaceuticals, energy, aviation and aerospace, building materials, industrial equipment and piping, automotive, and retail/distribution. Mike also has experience representing both landlords and tenants in housing disputes and eviction matters.
Additionally, Mike serves on multiple National Coordinating Counsel teams managing mass tort litigation in jurisdictions across the country. In this capacity, he directs all aspects of the client’s defense including discovery strategy, preparation and defense of corporate representative witnesses, motion practice, trial preparation, and settlement negotiations. Mike has experience counseling corporate clients regarding compliance with cyber-security issues and protection of sensitive data. He also has experience advising clients regarding litigation risk, including during the due diligence phase of proposed acquisitions.
Mike is a graduate of Boston College and Northeastern University School of Law. During his tenure in law school, he worked as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Ralph D. Gants. Mike is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and is regularly recognized by Boston Magazine as one of the top 2.5% of young lawyers in Massachusetts. In 2018, Mike obtained the designation of Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP) after completing studies at the Litigation Management Institute at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Mike performs charitable work through the Boston Bar Association’s Volunteer Lawyers Project and the Irish International Immigrant Center.
In his free time, Mike enjoys fishing, hiking, boating and spending time with his wife and two daughters.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent™ Peer Rated
- Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP), Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2018
- Trenwick America Reinsurance Corporation and Unum Life Insurance Company of America v. IRC, Inc. et al., 764 F.Supp.2d 274 (D. Mass. 2011)
- Panel Counsel, Volunteer Lawyers Project, Boston Bar Association
- Irish International Immigrant Center, Board of Directors
- Federal Bar Association, Corporate and Association Counsel Division, Vice Chair of Membership
- Boston Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Dust in the Wind: Can Missouri’s $4 Billion Talc Verdict Survive Fourteenth Amendment Scrutiny?, Federal Bar Association, The Federal Lawyer Magazine, May/June 2019.
Protecting the “House”: Secrets for a Successful Defense Team, For The Defense Magazine, January 2018.
A Tale of Two Tort Regimes: Medical Monitoring Claims in New York and Massachusetts, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, MassDLA Newsletter, November 2015.
Mercury Rising? The Impact of Michigan v. EPA on Industry and the Environment, Federal Bar Association, Corporate Articles, Summer 2015.
Past Is Prologue: Still No Service for Cell Phone Radiation Litigation, For The Defense Magazine, December 2011.
Contributing Author, Product Liability Case Law Update, Presented at 2010 DRI Product Liability Conference, April 2010.
- Occupational Laws & Compliance, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, Distance Learning Program, Adjunct Assistant Professor
- The Discovery Side Show: How to Keep the Litigation Spotlight on the Main Event, Claims Litigation Management (CLM), Online Webinar, (April 2019)
- Cybersecurity: What Every In-House Counsel Needs to Know (and Outside Counsel Should Tell Them), Federal Bar Association, Online Webinar, Moderator (January 2018)
- Secrets for a Successful Defense Team, Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (November 2017)
- Risks, Trends and Best Practices in Cybersecurity and Data Protection, Boston, Massachusetts (September 2017)
- National Counsel Roundtable: Expectations of Counsel, Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2016)
- Masterminding Your Litigation Strategy, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Boston, Massachusetts (February 2016)