Andrew McConville is the Partner-in-Charge of Cetrulo LLP’s Providence, Rhode Island office. With over 25 years of litigation experience, Andrew has focused his practice on the defense of toxic tort, complex product liability, property damage, and personal injury claims. Andrew appears regularly before the Superior Courts and the United States District Courts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Andrew is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Rhode Island consolidated asbestos docket in the Firm’s role as court appointed Defense Liaison Counsel and works extensively with the Court and counsel in the coordination of pretrial schedules, depositions, trial settings, and docket management. Andrew handles all aspects of litigation including drafting and responding to discovery, taking and defending depositions, serving and responding to subpoenas, writing and arguing dispositive motions, and preparing cases for mediation and trial.
Before entering private practice, Andrew served as an officer and Judge Advocate in the United States Marine Corps. He was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California, where he served as a prosecutor and then as a criminal defense attorney. As a trial attorney in one of the busiest law centers in the Department of Defense, Andrew engaged in extensive motion practice, trial preparation, and contested bench and jury trials involving major complex crimes. He was then selected to serve as an instructor at the Naval Justice School in Newport, Rhode Island, where he taught criminal law and trial advocacy to military attorneys and conducted seminars on evidentiary and administrative matters for senior officers. Andrew also participated in training overseas as an instructor with the Defense Institute for International Legal Studies.
Andrew serves as an Adjunct Professor at Boston College, where he has taught Family Law, Criminal Law, White Collar Crimes, Negotiation Skills and Conflict Resolution.
Andrew volunteers as a mentor with both the Rhode Island Bar Association and Boston Bar Association’s Military Veterans Mentoring Programs, which assist veterans transitioning to the civilian legal profession. He is a Board Member of the Federal Bar Association’s Veterans & Military Law Section.
Andrew is an approved arbitrator for the Rhode Island Superior Court Annexed Arbitration Program and serves as a mediator for the Rhode Island Superior Court’s annual Settlement Week. He is a member of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, and is the Firm’s representative to the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce.
Andrew has been named as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 1996
- B.A., Boston College, 1993
- Federal Bar Association, Veterans and Military Law Section, Board Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Mentor, Active Duty Military & Veterans Forum Mentoring Program
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member of Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Boston College Veterans Alumni Network
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Mentor, Military Veterans Mentoring Program
- Boston Bar Association’s Active Duty Military & Veterans Forum Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Boston College Veteran Alumni Network, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association Mentor Program, Mentor for Military Veterans
- Leadership Rhode Island, Tau II Class
- Secured a defense verdict as lead defense counsel in a traumatic brain injury case tried before a jury in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Plaintiff claimed that he was permanently disabled as a result of injuries sustained in an altercation that occurred outside of a popular Boston restaurant. Plaintiff asserted claims for negligent security against the defendant restaurant and conspiracy and negligence against three individual defendants, which included Mr. McConville’s client. After a sixteen-day trial, the jury returned a defense verdict, on all counts, in favor of Mr. McConville’s client, while awarding the plaintiff $4.5 million on his claims against the defendant restaurant.
- Secured multi-million dollar recovery in property damage and business interruption claim following explosion and resultant damage to industrial equipment.
- Negotiated favorable resolution in a highly publicized chemical explosion case after defeating plaintiffs’ motion for class certification.
- While serving as criminal defense counsel in the Marine Corps, secured a complete acquittal for a Marine client charged with rape in a five-day jury trial involving cutting edge expert testimony in false confessions.
- Obtained an acquittal for a Marine client charged with riot and aggravated assault in a week-long jury trial.
- The GDPR, SCCs, BCRs, and Schrems: Deciphering the Data Privacy Alphabet Soup, The Federal Lawyer Magazine, May/June 2022.
- Bargaining, Bottom Lines, and BATNA: Re-Learning the Skill of Negotiation, The Federal Lawyer Magazine, July/August 2020.
Presentations, Classes & Seminars Taught
- Mock Trial Judge, UMass Law (2022)
- Closing the Deal: Bargaining Strategies for Best Results in Asbestos Litigation, DALS, Featured Panelist, (September 17, 2020)
- Vaping & E-Cigarettes: A 21st Century Epidemic, Perrin Conference Webinar, Featured Panelist (November 19, 2019)
- Conflict Resolution: Negotiation Skills, Boston College, Adjunct Professor (2019-Present)
- Criminal Law, Boston College, Adjunct Professor (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Professional Criminals (White Collar Crimes), Boston College, Adjunct Professor (2019)
- Family Law, Boston College, Adjunct Professor, (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Military Criminal Justice, Suffolk University Law School, Guest Speaker (2003-2010)
- Trial Advocacy, Roger Williams School of Law, Adjunct Faculty (2002, 2003)
- Criminal Law / Trial Advocacy, Naval Justice School, Instructor (2000-2003)
- Executive Seminar on Operational Law/Law of the Sea, United States Defense Institute for International Legal Studies, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea , Instructor (September 2002)
- Careers in Military Law Forum, Boston College Law School, Guest Speaker (2001)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2021, 2022
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, (gold star in lieu of second award)
- National Defense Service Medal, (bronze star in lieu of second award)
- Distinguished Oral Advocate, Legal Practice Skills, Suffolk University Law School