Mr. Sommerville’s areas of concentration include Environmental Litigation, Insurance Defense Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation, Medical and Product Liability Litigation and Mass Tort Litigation and large Construction Losses
Before joining Cetrulo LLP, Mr. Sommerville managed a local claim office for a Connecticut based insurance company from 1973-1978. In 1978, Mr. Sommerville moved to a rival insurance organization to work as the head of the Special Claims Unit. This unit was responsible for all environmental and toxic tort litigation bought by and against insured companies. Mr. Sommerville entered private law practice in 1987 as an associate for a large law firm and became an equity partner in a small Boston law firm in 1994.
Mr. Sommerville is National Counsel for a defendant manufacturer in the asbestos litigation. He was National Counsel for a defendant manufacturer in the Natural Rubber Latex Medical Glove litigation. He has also managed a book of large loss toxic tort litigation on a nationwide basis for a major casualty insurer. He has also been retained as an expert witness for insurers as it respects coverage issues and proper claims handling procedures.
He also manages the remediation of various contaminated sites. Additionally he has represented reinsurers and cedents in arbitrations of matters that concern long tail claims.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1987
- M.A., Catholic University of America, Washington, District of Columbia, 1973
- B.S., Towson University, Towson, Maryland, 1972
- American Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Natural Rubber Latex Glove Litigation, Defendant, Manufacturer, National Counsel
- Defendant, Natural Rubber Latex Glove Litigation